1 ½ cups water
½ cup dairy/non-dairy milk
6 cardamon pods
1-2 tsp cinnamon
1 inch piece fresh ginger
Brown demarara sugar/honey to taste
2 black tea bags
- Place cardamon, ginger, clove, cinnamon in a mortar and pestle and crush together.
- Add spices to a sauce pan and add the water. Bring to the boil and then simmer on a low heat for 20 – 30 mins (or as long as you can, making sure the water doesn’t boil away!)
- Add milk and sugar (you can also just add sweetener to each cup as you drink it to monitor how much you add). Slowly re heat until just before it begins to boil.
- Turn off the heat and add the tea bags and cover, leave to brew for a few mins.
- Pour into cups and drink piping hot :)** I just multiply this quantity depending on how much I want to make but I keep the measurements as close to this as I find it gives great flavour. It tastes even better the next day (I remove the tea bags after a while so that it doesn’t get too strong, also keep it in a cool place if you are leaving it overnight) Heat well before serving, it tastes best nice and hot! Great on these wet and cold winter evenings.